Within a decade of the first stage of this historically-inspired restoration, with consideration of a mechanical restoration and new console pending, even including an additional proposal for a possible retrackerization thereby returning the organ to as close to original condition as possible, a new generation of church authorities ultimately made the decision to take the traditional music program of the congregation in a different direction, and elected instead to connect this historic organ to a large digital imitation instrument with MIDI installed by a dealer of electronic instruments.
Steer & Turner
Opus 70 - 1873
This imposing organ, with its black walnut case and sixteen-foot front pipes, is the largest extant issue from the prolific partnership of John W. Steer and George W. Turner. The O.H.S. visited this organ as part of the Worcester Convention in 1983. The organ is beautifully crafted inside and out and exhibits many subtle but unusually sophisticated details of construction. The recently completed first restoration phase involved tonal restoration, which included returning the instrument to its original wind pressure and pitch. The startling result is an instrument of surprisingly virility and warmth yet with quite elegant voicing.